Counting the Days
Countdown to Retirement…only 3 days left! Who could have imagined that 30.03 years in education would come and go so quickly? The thought of it actually blows my mind! So, exactly how does one define “retirement”? The word in whole has been defined as, “withdrawal for prayer and study and meditation” (a religious retreat of sorts); or “the state of being retired from one’s business or occupation”. Then if you break the word up into parts it could appear as “re=again”, “tire=hoop that covers a wheel”, and “ment=refers to an action or process or its result”. I suppose that’s how I really feel…like an old car that’s getting refitted with a new set of tires…hopefully, to be able to go another 100, 000 miles! I’m not exactly sure what roads this new set of tires will take me down, but I’m excited about the possibilities! And then there’s my dear friend, Nadine’s definition of retirement that I love which is, “Half the salary and twice the husband!” However, my absolutely favorite definition of retirement is one I heard a few weeks ago while watching TV in a hotel room in Lawrence, Kansas. Paul Orfalea, founder of Kinko’s, was being interviewed on one of those early morning talk shows. He recently sold his business for a gazillion dollars and was asked what he was going to do now that he was “retired”. His response to the interviewer was that he did not think of himself as “retired”, but as “repurposed”. I really like that! Think I’ll use it – it fits (like a good tire). Repurposed…finding purpose all over again for one’s life. Being able to bring all of your previous life experiences together as you seek a new “purpose-driven life”. Boy, where have we heard that before? Time for me to pull out my copy of PDL and re-read it once again. At least now I’ll have plenty of time to retreat and do just that!

4 Comments:
Hey "Mama D!" Love your blog. I'll visit it often I'm sure. I love to read the writings of friends who are interesting and wise :) I did a word study once of "retirement" on my favorite study site: John Piper's Desiring God. Here's a link to what I found there -
Hope you enjoy these excellent insights from an amazing servant. Love, Kristi
Okay! I'm on my parents' computer, which obviously won't edit html for me :) Here's the link - just copy and paste:
http://www.google.com/u/desiringgod?q=retirement
:) Kristi
Kristi, well you are definitely too young to be "studying" about retirement, although you're never too young to make plans for it. Thanks for your encouraging comments. I'll try to keep the site as interesting and informative as a "woman of my years" is able. :) I've thoroughly enjoyed reading some of the information on retirement from the link you gave me to John Piper's site. Very enlightening! I know you're having a very special time with family this week. Praying traveling mercies for your trip home. Love, Mama D
Hey you little cutie patootie! Nana has only one more day until her retirement and then it's all fun and games from November 1st on! Nana will be glad to teach you how to play the piano seeing as how she didn't do so well in that department with your Daddy and Uncle Jeff. Now, you better get off that computer...you know youre not supposed to be on the 'puter "unsupervised" :) Nana loves you!
Post a Comment
<< Home