Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Retirement Day #1


Ahhhhh, the luxury of "sleeping in"...what a nice way to start the day! Even though the sleep-in only lasted until 9:30AM it still was better than the usual o'dark thirty wake-up call I've been used to all these years. The phone seemed to ring off the hook once I was up, but I refused to answer it until noon. So, while I ignored the phone, I was able to have my quiet time and devotion without rushing, then having the remote all to myself I watched the Horse Whisperer on TV while casually drinking my coffee. I loved that book but hated the ending, so I'm glad they changed the movie version ending. After I'd had a few good cries during the movie, I piddled (what exactly is a "piddle"?) some around the house, then bathed, dressed, and headed out in the rain to see/hear Dr. Bill Cosby speak at Gulf Coast Community College. He was here to promote community mindedness especially when it comes to foster parenting, mentoring, or grandparents now raising others' children. What you see is what you get with him. He just tells it like it is and doesn't mess around with words. Here's a picture I took of him while he was answering questions from the audience. His message was one of getting a good education and being a good role model, as well as being proactively involved in kids' lives both at home and in the community. God bless him as he continues to help communities around this country of ours reclaim their families and neighborhoods for the better. So, I reckon getting to end the first day of retirement with Dr. Bill Cosby is a definite memory maker for this bloggette.

1 Comments:

Blogger emily said...

(said to the tune of bill cosby's "dad is great")...
retirement is great. you get to eat chocolate cake!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home