Word of the Day: Integrity
As I was reading my Bible, one word from two separate passages caught my attention. That word is "integrity". First in Genesis 20:3-6, in a dream, Abimelech was speaking to the Lord concerning the issue of Abraham giving his wife Sarah to him, not knowing that she was his wife, since Abraham said Sarah was his sister (which in reality is true...they had the same father, Terah, but different mothers). God tells him that he is a dead man because the woman he has taken is married. With sincerity Abimelech says, "In the integrity of my heart and the innocence of my hands I have done this." God responds, " Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also kept you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her." You'll need to read the rest of the chapter for the "rest of the story", but basically all ends well for both parties once Sarah is returned to Abraham. The second passage was found in Proverbs 10:9," He who walks in integrity walks securely, but he who perverts his ways will be found out." When I think of the word integrity, my deceased grandfather, Clifford Leonard Clarke, comes to mind. He grew up in a world where his word was his bond and a handshake sealed the deal. Usually, when speaking of someone with integrity the word "honesty" is also included. So, how should we as Christians demonstrate these principles in real-life situations? The Quakers so highly valued this principle that they adhered to what was called a Testimony of Integrity. This was not a formalized creed but a belief that one should live a life true to God, true to oneself and true to others. The Testimony or Evidences of Integrity included practical applications in the following ways:
> making sure that one’s words and actions flow from one’s beliefs
> speaking the truth, even when it is difficult
> paying people fair wages for their work
> giving one’s employer the right amount of labor for one’s pay
> saying difficult things with grace and tact
> receiving difficult sayings gracefully
> guarding one’s reputation for honesty, fairness, and fidelity
> taking responsibility for one’s actions and their results
> fulfilling one’s commitments
> taking care of items entrusted to one
> being open to the ideas of others but not being too easily swayed by them
> confronting lapses in integrity in oneself and in others
> giving credit to others for their contributions
> assessing people and situations fairly and accurately
> avoiding spending beyond one’s means through the use of credit
It's apparent to me that in today's world of Enron scandals and the like, the human race can still learn a thing or two from those early Quakers. So, the question remains, "How am I demonstrating integrity to God, myself and others in everyday relational ocurrences and activities as I, through grace, attempt to live a life representative of a Christian world and life view?"

1 Comments:
thanks for the encouragement!!! love you, em
Post a Comment
<< Home